Merchavim is an Israeli nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting diversity, inclusion, and greater fairness in classrooms, communities, and society. Its key programs include:
- Teacher integration and placement to increase diversity in the ‘teachers’ room.’
- Arab Teacher Integration in Jewish Schools
- Ethiopian-Israeli Teacher Placement
- Teachers with Disabilities Placement
- Diversity workshops for educators
- Shared Society Through the Performing Arts
- Diversity Management in Organizations
- The Social Cohesion Leadership Program
- Ensuring the quality of communicative Arabic teaching materials and tools for Jewish elementary schools
“Merchavim” means “spaces” in Hebrew. This name reflects our firm belief that there is space for all citizens of Israel. The organization is founded on a “Shared Citizenship Model,” developed by a diverse group of educators. This model strives for greater fairness, which is more identifiable in Israeli society than the concept of “equality.”
Merchavim trains teachers and inspires young people to understand and value all differences: women/men, Jews/Arabs, secular/religious, native/immigrant, straight/gay, able-bodied/disabled. Merchavim is the only organization in Israel dedicated to promoting diversity in this broad way. It is a pioneer and leader and has no political affiliation.
Founded in 1998, Merchavim is a mature organization with a proven track record of delivering on its mandate and continually seeking to grow and strengthen its programs. To date, Merchavim has facilitated diversity training for more than 6000 educators who, in turn, have influenced thousands of young people across the country, thousands more have also participated directly in Merchavim programs. Program evaluations consistently show that Merchavim’s work leads to increased awareness and empathy and meaningful changes in attitudes and behaviors among program participants.